The Saturday's Surprise

I'm sorry I've not been able to complete  my story,  I've  been quite busy,  and  Tobi has been bugging me  on twitter  to hide  his shame,  so I've  decided to complete things nevertheless. 

We got to Lekki, and I barely could contain the soreness of my toes,  sometimes  I believe high heels are punishments for the love of slaying. I'm  not sure of the address in Lekki, but the  place sure looks like a slum. 

With my disapproving look,  as I stared  from afar, I saw a canopy with scanty chairs in the middle of the tent. The tent has some conspicuous  holes which rays of sunshine never seem to escape.  

"shey you wan collect something  for here? " I asked in pigdin. Tobi could hardly contain  his hearty laughter. 

"this is the party na, na my brother dey do naming"

If you saw me, you would see me rolling my eyes as I as took off my pair of heels, and wore my flip flops  I bought at Eko, no use wasting my stiletto. I always knew Tobi was evil,  but I never knew  he was the devil himself. 

I was already there,  there was no use running home,  I might as well just stay to eat party  jollof rice. After  four hours  of singing,  and  collecting of offering  by the pastor for this and that, the Christening  came to a sudden end. 

Finally!  I thought. Time for some good,  hot party  jollof rice,  if only my mother can see me now.  A woman,  who seems to be the mother's elder sister came  into the canopy with a carton of Coaster biscuit, the younger girl beside her held  packs of bottle water.

I just knew,  that was the end. She gave  me two biscuits and a chill bottle water,  soon everyone started  leaving,  and  then I knew that was all.  I stood,  not angry, sad or happy. I just took my red clutch  purse and walked to a close-by bus stop, a one-way trip to Yaba. 

Of course I wasn't angry at the couple,  it was what  they could afford, but at Tobi who is only alive today because  killing  is illegal, lessons were learnt, and that's  all that matters. 

Comments

Popular Posts