Love Nigeria Or die

"So, this is it?" I said to myself as mother dropped me up with the security man.
She gave me a tight squeeze, and waved as she left the school premises, I frowned.
The security man gave me my identity card.
"Awe Victoria" I read.
"Your class is upstairs, run along and get into the hostel" he explained.
I practically growled at him.
Mother had told me before we left home that Nigeria would be an adventure for me.
"An American returnee?" He asked noticing my accent.
"Yeah, just got back" I replied.
It wasn't that I hated being in my home country, being years abroad, I was different from the average Nigerian girls. Would they like my difference? Or I would be bullied for it.
I got a hold of my bags, they were quite light, mother was going to come every week to replace my provisions.
The school was large enough for my taste.
I soon heard the rusty sound of a broken horn beaming at the polished gate.
"Hello, mother land...huh" I hissed at the sight. If I was going to stay in Nigeria for awhile, I might as well learn to like it.
I headed for the hostel, the waiting room was plain... Too plain for me.
A couple of chairs, and a window, nothing more nor less.
"It wouldn't kill to have some wall decorationa in here" I once again said to myself."this school sucks already" I completed.



"Hey fresher!" An energetic voice said behind me. Curiosity got the best of me, as I turned to see who it was.
It was a young girl with concave glasses.


"First person I had to meet was a geek... Uh" I said under my breath, cursing my luck.
But looking at her again, she wasn't just a geek, she had those large, wild,fun eyes. Her complexion was flawless and the glasses only made her prettier.



"...uh?" I replied, not sure of what to say.

"Are you the US exchange student?" She asked with such curiosity.

"Uh yes... Yes, and you are A-B-I-O-L-A, right?" I answere d making more sense than I was before. I saw her name in her I identity card, I was no mind reader.
"Oh... Great! We have been waiting for you!" She grabbed my hands and we entered the main hostel.

Comments

Popular Posts